Sunday, September 07, 2008

Have you ever eaten....

I saw this food meme over at Pseudotherapy and thought it would a be a good one to do since it's Ramadan and people are discovering their obsessions with all things edible.

First the rules:

• Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
• Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
• Strike through any items that you would never consider eating.
• Italicize anything you’ve never heard of.
• Optional extra: Post a comment at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.


I decided not to strike through anything. As soon as I say I will never eat something I will get it put in front of me for sure!

Here goes:
  1. Venison - see Roadkill below (#75)
  2. Nettle tea
  3. Huevos rancheros - Miami
  4. Steak tartare - ewe.. you could get parasites from eating raw meat.
  5. Crocodile
  6. Black pudding
  7. Cheese fondue - this was actually fun (and I was about eight years old)
  8. Carp
  9. Borscht
  10. Baba ghanoush - they serve this at Libyan weddings sometimes. I could live without it.
  11. Calamari - in my book this is just squid with a fancy name - fish bait..yuck
  12. Pho
  13. PB&J sandwich - I have eaten a zillion in my lifetime and hope to eat a zillion more
  14. Aloo gobi
  15. Hot dog from a street cart - my dad bought me one in Chicago when I was a kid
  16. Epoisses
  17. Black truffle - I've had Libyan truffles... they aren't the same
  18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
  19. Steamed pork buns
  20. Pistachio ice cream - yes but not my favourite. I'm waiting for the day Libya finally gets Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk
  21. Heirloom tomatoes
  22. Fresh wild berries - yummmmmmy
  23. Foie gras - puke, puke, barf!
  24. Rice and beans - sigh... yes
  25. Brawn, or head cheese
  26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
  27. Dulce de leche - in Miami
  28. Oysters
  29. Baklava - definitely - I even know how to make it from scratch
  30. Bagna cauda
  31. Wasabi peas
  32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - I like sourdough.. I can make it.. I don't like clam chowder
  33. Salted lassi
  34. Sauerkraut - mmmm.. with sausages. Haven't eaten this in years and years..
  35. Root beer float - I wish there was root beer in Libya... I make do with Pepsi
  36. Cognac with a fat cigar
  37. Clotted cream tea
  38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - not with the vodka
  39. Gumbo - not something I get too excited about
  40. Oxtail - this was hubby's idea, not mine
  41. Curried goat - goats have an odor about them that I'm not particularly fond of
  42. Whole insects - not intentionally
  43. Phaal
  44. Goat’s milk - cheese yes... milk no
  45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
  46. Fugu
  47. Chicken tikka masala - Yes! I like this. I like it a lot!
  48. Eel - Hubby brought some home.. I asked him to never do it again
  49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - yes. Libya has donuts now! They're not bad but still not like 'home'
  50. Sea urchin - I've stepped on one of those suckers once with my bare foot and suffered for weeks
  51. Prickly pear - every year when they are in season in Libya
  52. Umeboshi
  53. Abalone
  54. Paneer - I like paneer
  55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
  56. Spaetzle - I've made this a few times
  57. Dirty gin martini
  58. Beer above 8% ABV - I'm not sure about this, it was a loooong time ago. I drink the non-alcoholic variety now
  59. Poutine
  60. Carob chips - yes but chocolate is so much better
  61. S’mores - come on.. I was a brownie and a girl scout in my day
  62. Sweetbreads
  63. Kaolin - Kaopectate.
  64. Currywurst
  65. Durian - YES! I wish they had fresh durian here. I saw it in a can once but it isn't the same.
  66. Frogs’ legs - my mother likes these... ewe gross
  67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - they call them sfinge in Libya
  68. Haggis - ewe.. almost like Libyan osban.. uuuugghh
  69. Fried plantain - yummy
  70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - coloured folks in America buy these by the bucket.. oh sorry I meant African Americans.. yuck.. they're pig's intestines
  71. Gazpacho - soup..
  72. Caviar and blini - blini yes... caviar no.. fish eggs yuck
  73. Louche absinthe
  74. Gjetost, or brunost
  75. Roadkill - my uncle's neighbour was a highway patrolman. Roadkill was one of the job's perks. Not bad either! (venison)
  76. Baijiu
  77. Hostess Fruit Pie - ahhh... reminds me of my childhood
  78. Snail. Sauteed in garlic butter
  79. Lapsang souchong
  80. Bellini
  81. Tom yum
  82. Eggs Benedict - yes.. I'm really not a big fan of eggs
  83. Pocky
  84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
  85. Kobe beef
  86. Hare
  87. Goulash - I like goulash
  88. Flowers - rose petals, squash blossoms, nasturtiums, rose hips, dandelions, clover, cauliflower, broccoli …
  89. Horse
  90. Criollo chocolate
  91. Spam - I've consumed a can or two in my life. Mom was really into canned food when I was growing up
  92. Soft shell crab
  93. Rose harissa - just the Libyan/Tunisian kind of harissa
  94. Catfish
  95. Mole poblano
  96. Bagel and lox - bagels yes... I can even make them myself... lox..no.. ewe
  97. Lobster Thermidor
  98. Polenta - ho hum
  99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - very nice
  100. Snake - only had sea snake.. ewe
Bon appetit!

2 comments:

  1. How fun to see your version of this! I sense you're not a fan of the water-dwelling critters?

    I'll bet a lot more people have eaten roadkill in the form of venison than realize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must try poutine!!! Its a French Canadian classic. Its fries with hot gravy and cheese curds...mmmmmmmm...im craving it right now...

    ReplyDelete

Guidelines for submitting comments

You can rant, you can rave, you can question. I ask only that you are thoughtful about what you write.

Comments are reviewed by me before publication. I don’t edit comments, but I do reserve the right to delete comments that violate my guidelines.

These are the kinds of comments that I think are not appropriate for publication:

- Defamatory or libelous remarks
- Abusive, harassing, or threatening language
- Obscene, vulgar, or profane language
- Racially, ethnically or religiously offensive words
- Illegal or encourages criminal acts
- Known to be inaccurate or contains a false attribution
- Infringes copyrights, trademarks, publicity or any other rights of others
- Impersonates anyone (actual or fictitious)
- Off-topic or spam
- Solicits funds, goods or services, or advertises



Please submit comments in English.


Thank you

My Link List