Sunday, January 08, 2006

Eid jitters

Yes, I'm getting the Eid jitters. There is something that I've discovered over the years and that is that I don't feel at all sentimental about Eid. As a matter of fact, I think I hate the holiday. (Bah Humbug!)

Mustafa went out yesterday to buy a sheep. He left in the morning and didn't come home until it was dark. I cannot imagine why it took him so long because there are about a zillion sheep out there and in my opinion they all taste about the same. He came home in a nasty mood - grumbling and complaining about everything. I'm sure he must have argued his way through the whole process of buying the sheep. I'm not pleased to be the dumping ground for his bad mood and I've decided to do my best to ignor him.

Now I have 'THE DAY' itself to look forward to. We all meet every year at my mother-in-law's house and all the brothers slaughter their sheep together. The last few years they've hired a butcher to come help out, which is nice, but it is still nothing but work - lots of work, messy work, really messy work. The weather these days is cold and windy. I looked at the weather report and it says rain! So we'll be outside in the cold and rain as well.

To top it off there will be the sister-in-laws to deal with. Maybe that's the worst part of the whole ordeal. I can take them in small doses, but an entire day is almost more than I can bear. . . sigh . . . I never had anything in common with any of them and I don't supose I ever will.

The kids and men seem to be the only ones that ever really enjoy Eid. The men get to be all macho - slaughtering the poor sheep and then they all sit around and stuff themselves with grilled meat. The kids have a grand time, running, playing, drinking can after can of soda, and eating all day long.

I will survive - I always do. I'll keep you posted on the events.

PS: Since Mustafa has been in such a shitty mood and we aren't speaking to each other - the trip to Tunis is off for the moment.

4 comments:

  1. Sure hope that the storm calms and that the trip will be on again. I certainly here you about the work - do not envy the women all the work that needs to be done - especially in inclement weather - makes it even worse. I will be on my own for Eid - bought a book today - will spend the day reading and cross stitching - nice peaceful day - wanna come over - you are more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel the same ,although no inlaws to bother about :) second day of Eid should be okay ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are there anybody who can help me find an old Libyan friend from Gharian ??

    ReplyDelete

Guidelines for submitting comments

You can rant, you can rave, you can question. I ask only that you are thoughtful about what you write.

Comments are reviewed by me before publication. I don’t edit comments, but I do reserve the right to delete comments that violate my guidelines.

These are the kinds of comments that I think are not appropriate for publication:

- Defamatory or libelous remarks
- Abusive, harassing, or threatening language
- Obscene, vulgar, or profane language
- Racially, ethnically or religiously offensive words
- Illegal or encourages criminal acts
- Known to be inaccurate or contains a false attribution
- Infringes copyrights, trademarks, publicity or any other rights of others
- Impersonates anyone (actual or fictitious)
- Off-topic or spam
- Solicits funds, goods or services, or advertises



Please submit comments in English.


Thank you

My Link List