Monday, August 15, 2005

Dental surgery

I had dental surgery last Saturday. I had a tooth that broke and needs a crown but the tooth broke below the gumine so I had to have gum surgery.

It was pretty awful and painful too. I think the dentist nearly pulled my tongue out of my mouth while he was trying to work - even though I was shot full of anesthetic I was miserable. The doctor told me to relax. I mean really! How on earth am I supposed to relax with someone crawling down my throat?

I hate going to the dentist - actually I think I would rather give birth than go to the dentist. I hate not being able to see what is going on and not being able to control the situation either.

When I got home from the dentist I went straight to bed. Ibrahim came and brought me all his stuffed animals and tucked them in with me under the blanket. He also made sure I had a nice cold bottle of water next to my bed and he kept pouring water for me. He can be such a sweety sometimes!

I am recovering - I didn't take any time off work, but I made sure I had all kinds of speaking activities for the students so they could be doing all the talking. I have to go back to the dentist on Saturday to have the stiches removed. I'm not sure when they will start on the crown. In the end it will cost a fortune . . . sigh . . .

3 comments:

  1. Assalaamu alaikum,

    Sorry you had to go through that - and thanks a lot for telling me, lol! I have an appointment for this at the end of the month, and didn't know what to expect - although I normally don't mind the dentist. I used to take good care of my teeth, but for ten years I neglected them... I would break a tooth, but be pregnant and/or breastfeeding, and think that I didn't have time to go, and didn't want the x-rays and medications, so I would wait. I'm embarassed to say that this summer, I've had three root canals, and have this appointment for gum surgery on one and then a crown. Alhamdulillah it's free, though, and there are a lot of good women dentists working at the government clinics. I'm happy to be finally taking care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My worst anxiety is dentist appointments. When I was a child we didn't have money for dentists, so the few appointments I had were for serious problems, which caused my current anxiety. I have had 3 or 4 root canals in the past 15 years. So far my gums are holding out, but not in great shape. I need crowns, but they are too expensive here (about $1000 each).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had my tooth prepared for a crown yesterday. My gums are still chewed up and my jaw aches from having to hold my mouth open for two hours!Took them three tries to get a good enough impression for the new crown. When I got home I just wanted to sleep. I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Guidelines for submitting comments

You can rant, you can rave, you can question. I ask only that you are thoughtful about what you write.

Comments are reviewed by me before publication. I don’t edit comments, but I do reserve the right to delete comments that violate my guidelines.

These are the kinds of comments that I think are not appropriate for publication:

- Defamatory or libelous remarks
- Abusive, harassing, or threatening language
- Obscene, vulgar, or profane language
- Racially, ethnically or religiously offensive words
- Illegal or encourages criminal acts
- Known to be inaccurate or contains a false attribution
- Infringes copyrights, trademarks, publicity or any other rights of others
- Impersonates anyone (actual or fictitious)
- Off-topic or spam
- Solicits funds, goods or services, or advertises



Please submit comments in English.


Thank you

My Link List