Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Shade

When I went to visit my mother in Florida in 1996 I brought back with me seeds from my mother's mimosa tree. Mimosas are easy to grow from seeds and they grow fast, quickly becoming wonderful providers of dense shade.

I planted two of them in my garden and they overhang in the street in front of my house offering the only respite from the harsh north African sun on my block. People fight to park their cars in the cool shade, oftentimes I am left with my car in the sun.

Not only do these beautiful trees provide protection from the sun but they also harbour a variety of wildlife; birds sing all day long and in the early morning hours of dawn these trees are frequented by a nightingail who's song provides the listener with intense joy. Bees, wasps and butterflies are all visitors too. Our cat uses the trees as a pathway to the balcony and an avenue of escape.

My trees give me great pleasure... aside from all of the above they are a reminder of home.

8 comments:

  1. mashaAllah they are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you bring some seeds back when you visit? I'd like to have that tree back... Moms is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look so beautiful. u have done gr8 job , at least as u said they do remind u of home ,and become famous to alot of visitors,

    ReplyDelete
  4. cars , birds ,Bees, wasps and butterflies ,cat ....
    u seems gives great gifts 4 those ....

    enjoy `e new friends ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. its really nice blog and nice article im new one i wish we could be afrinds and u vaist my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. just wondering....any mosquitoes? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How hard is it to grow mimosa from seed? I am visiting Tripoli this summer and like to plant some infront of my in-laws house for shade.

    Thanks and love your blog.--Adel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salam KhadijaTeri,
    Lovely post and beautiful trees. I love waking in the early mornings myself to the sound of singing birds. Have doves in my backyard whose coos are the loveliest sound ever. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Guidelines for submitting comments

You can rant, you can rave, you can question. I ask only that you are thoughtful about what you write.

Comments are reviewed by me before publication. I don’t edit comments, but I do reserve the right to delete comments that violate my guidelines.

These are the kinds of comments that I think are not appropriate for publication:

- Defamatory or libelous remarks
- Abusive, harassing, or threatening language
- Obscene, vulgar, or profane language
- Racially, ethnically or religiously offensive words
- Illegal or encourages criminal acts
- Known to be inaccurate or contains a false attribution
- Infringes copyrights, trademarks, publicity or any other rights of others
- Impersonates anyone (actual or fictitious)
- Off-topic or spam
- Solicits funds, goods or services, or advertises



Please submit comments in English.


Thank you

My Link List