Sunday, July 03, 2005

Non-stop noise

I have listened to non-stop noise all day today.

  • Nora in the kitchen listening to a CD of something that sounds techno.
  • Sara in the living room with the TV blasting cartoons.
  • The playstation in the boy's room with that God awful vrooom, vroooom, vroooom of Driver.
  • In the middle of all this is the doorbell ringing
  • the phone ringing and the kids arguing.
  • I'll go to work today and have noise there too.

I have very low tolerance for noise these days. It gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. How do you avoid noise when you have six kids, two cats, and what seems like a zillion parakeets? Not to mention the fact that the nephew from downstairs seems to live with us too?


Of course we are now on the summer schedule - no school for the kids and hot weather. People in Libya stay up very late in the summer. When the kids were smaller I would try to keep them on a schedule were they had to be in bed early, but now that they are mostly teenagers it doesn't seem to work. And also everything in Libya starts late. People arrive for weddings and other parties after 10pm and time stretches until the early hours of the morning.


I need a vacation - away from the kids, noise and nonsense of daily life. . . . That's hardly likely to happen . . . In the meantime, I will do my best and try to find a pair of earplugs that block out most of the noise.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you come and visit mother and I? I promise you will hear the noise of the afternoon thunderstorms and not much more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about non-stop noise... in our house, we have so many teens that there are people up almost all night... even my dad stays up until 3 am many nights... and meanwhile poor Owen (age 8) goes to sleep by 9:30 pm and is up by 7 in the morning... and Eric and I try to get to sleep by midnight or 1 am so we can get up to go to work each day... it can be very frustrating to have your sleep interrupted all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you visit mother and Kris you still have noise from Holly and Tony and the kids. Mike and I on the other hand live on a nice quiet lake. Today (7-8-05) It is 65 degrees with a nice steady rain.

    ReplyDelete

Guidelines for submitting comments

You can rant, you can rave, you can question. I ask only that you are thoughtful about what you write.

Comments are reviewed by me before publication. I don’t edit comments, but I do reserve the right to delete comments that violate my guidelines.

These are the kinds of comments that I think are not appropriate for publication:

- Defamatory or libelous remarks
- Abusive, harassing, or threatening language
- Obscene, vulgar, or profane language
- Racially, ethnically or religiously offensive words
- Illegal or encourages criminal acts
- Known to be inaccurate or contains a false attribution
- Infringes copyrights, trademarks, publicity or any other rights of others
- Impersonates anyone (actual or fictitious)
- Off-topic or spam
- Solicits funds, goods or services, or advertises



Please submit comments in English.


Thank you

My Link List