The Rumor Mill
There's is big excitement in Libya these days. The country is playing host to the 3rd AU/EU Summit that will take place on the 29th and 30th of November. There are clean-up crews in all the streets and roads making sure everything is spic and span. The shop doors on the main roads have all been painted with a fresh coat of green paint. Flag poles are being put up in strategic locations and there is a strong presence of security as it's been reported that 80 heads of state will be in attendance.
I looked around on the net to see what I could find out about the summit and I really couldn't find much. I found this link: African Union Summit that says the theme is Investment, economic growth and job creation. The downloadable programme lists an opening statement and lunches, banquets and a group photo. Apparently nothing else has been planned because for each plenary session the topics all say 'to be defined'. It doesn't sound like much will be happening, but I bet you can pretty much count on at least one very, very, very, very, very,very long speech.
In the mean time, everyone is talking about the summit, specifically about the security measures surrounding the big event. Here are some of the things I've heard - and always the people saying them claim they have an 'official source' of someone who is 'in the know'. Some of them are pretty ridiculous!
- A public holiday will be called - no school, no work.
- Hospitals will be closed.
- All shops will be closed
- Barack Obama will be in attendance
- The roads will be closed in the centre of Tripoli
- The roads in Benashur will be closed
- The roads into and out of Tripoli will be closed
- the entire event will be moved to Sirte at the last minute
- The internet will be shut off
- all the country's money will be given to poor African countries
- There will be a curfew - anyone caught outside on the streets will be shot on sight
- The baker's will all be closed and there will be no bread in Libya
- etc. etc. etc.
So, tell me.... what has your 'official source' told you? Click on comments...
I'm off to the baker's.... going to stock up........ Thank God I've got plenty of gadeed!